Charis Village Retirement Housing Society
The name 'Charis'
Charis, (pronounced Care-is) which means 'grace" has its roots in Scripture. The underlying text for Charis Village is found in Ephesians, Chapter 2, verse 8, which references the words: "grace...a gift from God."
Charis Village's fundamental founding principles will be faith-focused and will reflect the story that we live and work by the grace of God.
8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
To establish a not for profit organization based on Christian values, providing a caring community for seniors by respecting their needs with dignity and compassion.
Our vision is to facilitate, finance, develop and build an "ageing in place" community (Village) for seniors, based on the following:
- to initially provide facilities for independent living with minimal assistance. As the need increases and resources become available, the "Village" hopes to build and staff facilities with skilled care for those no longer able to care for themselves.
- to promote and nurture a cultural environment based on Christian values that respect the individual's need for privacy while providing the opportunity for interaction with family and friends, and encourages active participation within the "Village" and the community at large.
- to reach out into the "Village" with a variety of services which address the residential, social, spiritual, physical and emotional needs of the residents.
- to provide seniors housing in a village complex, which offers a continuum of care reflecting compassion, dignity and respect. The orientation of programs at all levels is toward the individual's optimal level of independence and self-reliance.
Statement of Faith
- We believe in one God eternally existing in three persons: God, the Father; God, the Son; and God, the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments, as the inspired and infallible Word of God. This Word of God is the final authority in faith and life.
- We believe that men and women are created in the image of God, that they have been mandated by God to be stewards of His creation, and that they, therefore, have a task, calling, worth and dignity that does not diminish with age.
- We believe that life is a gift of God and is to be protected in all stages and that death is the end of life on this earth and the transition to life everlasting in the presence of God.
- We believe that life should neither be terminated prematurely, not extended artificially, and that end-of-life decision should be made by the individual in consultation with his or her family, pastor, and physician.
Charis Village is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the establishment of a community for seniors sixty and over. We are committed to sharing Christian values where you can age with grace in a home that meets your social, spiritual, physical and emotional needs. Our vision is to build a community where you will receive all levels of care when those needs arise, and where you will be cared for and where you can care for one another. The facilities have been thoughtfully planned to enhance your comfort and safety and to facilitate a meaningful and connected life. To this end our plans are to build in phases, beginning with independent living apartments and duplexes and then progressing forward with an amenities building, an assisted living apartment and a long-term care facility.
The first phase includes Chinook Villa, a 4 storey, 46 unit apartment building with heated underground parking and storage for each suite, as well as above-ground parking. The building is of concrete, non-combustible construction, air-conditioned and equipped with heating and ventilation systems. Suites range in size from 908 to 1394 sq. ft. and include durable finishes and quality appliances. A common area on the main floor promotes social gatherings.
Twenty duplex units will be built as well, with the choice of a 1294 sq. ft. unit with a single car garage or a 1422 sq. ft. unit with a double car garage. These spacious homes will be equipped with quality appliances, air-conditioning, furnaces and ventilation systems. Every duplex will have a fully finished basement for those occasions when family and friends come to visit.
Maintenance of the units and grounds, which includes all appliances, mowing, weeding and snow removal, will be provided by Charis Village. These services make it easy for you to leave for periods of time without worrying about your home. However, Charis Village's location just north of Henner's Heights, a beautiful area of Lacombe that provides access to walking trails around Henner's Pond and views of the surrounding farmland, will be a home you won't want to leave for long!
Eagle Builders from Blackfalds has completed construction of Chinook Villa. Pre-sold duplexes started in the spring of 2020 and are completed and occupied. A 5% deposit of the life lease will hold your favourite unit until 30 days before construction begins, at which time a further 10% is due. All deposits will be held in trust by a lawyer until the unit is ready for occupancy. On occupancy, the remaining 85% will be due. You also have the opportunity to earn a 4% per annum cash discount on the net life lease if the 85% is paid when construction begins.
We invite you to drop in or call to make an appointment with Warren, who will be most happy to meet with you and provide you with more information. Information is available on floor plans, colour selections and pricing. As a group of volunteers, we have worked many hard years to get to this point. If Charis Village is something that interests you or a friend, we thank you for your consideration.